Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

Yummy and Fast Weeknight Meal {Cheater's Paella}

During this busy season, I'm always looking for inspirational meals that are quick, easy and crowd pleasing - especially amongst my biggest food critics, the kids. 


When my SIL mentioned a cheater's paella recipe she found in a local magazine, Make It Better, tried and really liked, my interests were definitely peaked. I like paella and so does the Mr., but what about the kids?

rice- check
peas- check
sausage - check
shrimp - check

{I have no idea why my 4 year old loves shrimp and salmon, so don't ask me. Meanwhile, she turns her nose up at chicken! Win some, lose some.}


Sounded like it was definitely worth a try.
And would you believe it. They both loved it!
Supper fast to make, authentic in flavor, makes a ton, comfort food - winner in my book. 

I hope you'll try it.

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 small onion, peeled, quartered, and thinly sliced
  • 1 red pepper, seeded and cut in thin strips
  • 1 package Amy’s Chicken Andouille or Chorizo Sausage { I used both kilbasa and chorizo}
  • 1 - 8 ounce packages Vigo Saffron Yellow Rice (or substitute Nueva Cocina’s Paella Rice Mix)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup frozen petite peas
  • 12 large shrimp, shelled and deveined
  • { I also added 2 chicken thighs}
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

In large, deep skillet (with lid), heat olive oil over medium flame. Add onion and pepper and sauté until softened. Slice sausages ½” thick on the diagonal and add to pan. Sauté to brown. Add rice, sauté for 30 seconds to coat rice, then add water and bring to a quick boil, stirring. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, then lift lid and throw in peas and shrimp. Cook 4 minutes more. Remove from heat and serve, garnished with chopped cilantro.

Until next time, 
Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit