Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

How to Breathe New Life into a Sofa

I'm a firm believer that there's a time and a place for high end, luxury pieces in your home. Whether that means antiques, raw silk coverings and beautiful persian rugs or simply upgrading thrift store purchases; everyone has their own definition of luxury. No matter what your definition, I can tell you we are not in that time or place. With two little kids slowly taking over our home, I don't want anything too precious (at least for the time being). I have bigger concerns to fill my time than whether or not my little hooligans are tearing up my nice upholstery.

sofa - before

That's why our couch looks like this. Ok, maybe a bit extreme, but I think you get what I'm saying. Our couch has seen better days, that's for sure, but I don't have to worry about spills, jumping, fort making or any other kid friendly activity. Not that I let them do any of those things…of course!
Now, just because it's a little tired, and we're still ages away from reupholstering or replacing it, doesn't mean we have to live with it like this. It's time to breathe some new life into our tired, but well loved sofa.

batting

Nothing like a little kick in the pants to jumpstart a project that's been on the back burner for far too long (no idea what I'm talking about, check out my inspiration here). I grabbed a couple bags of Heirloom cotton, queen sized, batting from Michael's and got to work wrapping and re-stuffing the down cushions on our 7ft long, rust hued, family friendly, extra comfy sofa.

mid stuff

It was pretty simple really. Remove the down inserts, wrap them in batting cut to size, then stuff them back into the case. After finishing only one cushion (check out the pic above) I was kicking myself for waiting so long - I mean, just look at the difference. Incredible. Who knew! Such a simple, easy and inexpensive fix. I think I spent more time cleaning up the escaped feathers littering our front hall than I did stuffing the cushions. 


sofa-after

I can hardly believe it's the same sofa. The biggest difference is definitely the lower cushions. They're actually fluffy again and when you sit down you don't feel like you're sinking into the frame of the sofa. The upper cushions are perkier as well. Score. I feel like I just extended the life of our couch. For practically nothing. Sometimes it's the little things that make the biggest difference. 

Now, onto the throw cushions.

until next time, 
Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit