Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

By Popular Demand: Tissue Paper Flower Tutorial


I have to say that I feel like I've hit a small milestone on my little blog. 

See, I always write things like - contact me with any questions, etc. Most of these requests go unanswered. 

But in the last couple of weeks, I've actually had two questions posted! 

Can you believe it - a year in the making...

Clearly I am excited.
Wouldn't you be?


So what was the question you ask?

The question was:

How did I make those cute flowers featured on my nursery tree mural?




Don't you know, I am so happy to share!

It couldn't be simpler really...

I started by folding and tearing small squares of tissue paper in a variety of colors.


I happened to find this three pack of assorted colors from Target for $1.99 - one pack was more than enough for all 7 flowers. 

Next I layered the colors - starting with green on the bottom to act as the leaves and then both tones of pink to act as the petals. I used 6 squares for the largest of the flowers and 4 for the smaller flowers.

I think the uneven torn edges add that little bit of extra texture.


Once you are happy with your colors, etc, gather in the back from the middle and start squishing the paper in to place. 

This was mostly trial and error, just working it until I found something I liked and looked remotely like a flower. Wish I could tell you there was more science to it than that, but alas, there is not.


Once you have achieved your floral look, separate the layers a bit and add a bit of hot glue to hold it all in place. 

Squish, hot glue, squish, hot glue - you get the idea.


And Voila - assorted flowers of various sizes and colors!

I applied double-sided velcro from Michael's to attach them to the wall.


Most people agree - the flowers make the tree! 

I hope you found this tutorial helpful! 
Please, please, please keep those questions coming! 

Until next time, 
Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit