Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

Loving this week: Lighting Edition

If you follow me on Pinterest (you know you should be!), you know that I am mad-cap pinning lighting right now. Our new to us, 80's lovin' home is full of true winners...from builders basic chandeliers, to boob lights, to all sorts of fans in various degrees of meltedness. 
(side note: I've never seen a melted, droopy fan before moving here and now I notice them everywhere. )



Check out this madness (clockwise): 
1. Multicolored fan - this is in the garage, people. The previous owner loved his garage. He installed separate, garage only, heating and cooling systems. And the fans. He clearly spent a lot of time out there. 
2. Classic, shiny brass boob light. There are more of these than I care to remember. Why, oh why, do people love to install these in their homes? I will never know. 
3. This beautiful frosted glass, sea shell inspired sconce resides in a little alcove off the hallway near the powder room. Such an interesting choice, certainly makes a statement. Perhaps, not the statement they had in mind, but a statement nonetheless. 
4. Another classic: the dreaded builders grade chandelier. I love brass, actually, but not this type of chintzy brass - all shiny and lightweight. Ugh.
5. Semi-flush mount, frosted glass, globe light. So old it's almost retro. Not in this house, sorry.
6. Brass tulip inspired foyer fixture. I'm not sure if i've just spent too much time looking at it or it's actually starting to grow on me. Help!


Restoration Hardware

I wish I could replace all the lighting in one fell swoop, but alas, having a budget and sticking to it is high on my list of design priorities. For now, it's day dreaming. These are some of my favorites at the moment. 

Parisian wood chandies are a dime a dozen these days, but the zinc accents on this one from RH had me at hello. Although, to be fair, I imagine hitting the edges with a bit of Rubb 'n Buff in Antique Gold to give it a bit of subtle bling. 
Just like in our last home, we are planning a family friendly, casually elegant dining room and I think this would fit in beautifully.


Shades of Light

This Old World Lantern from Shades of Light took me by surprise, for sure. I'm going for a slightly transitional look in our new home, (still traditional, but a bit more modern) and I wasn't thinking a classic charmer like this fixture would do it for me. But, I was wrong. Love it. 
The petal like embellishments of this fixture would work well with the similar embellishments of the RH Parisian chandelier, pictured above. Even though the finishes are totally different, similar shapes help the fixtures coordinate.


Ballard Designs

The Eldridge pendant from Ballard Designs in a great example of transitional design. Take a classic and very traditional shape like a lantern, modify it just a bit by straightening the lines to make it more modern and bam - transitional. 
I am seriously considering this for the over-the-kitchen-sink pendant. I think the tone of the metal will add a lot of warmth to the kitchen and the slightly over-sized scale of the piece will fit nicely in our big window. 



Wisteria

I'm loving all the oxidized, antiqued goodness of this oversized iron pendant. Talk about drama, in the breakfast room no less.
Again, the finished are not the same, but they speak to eachother, which makes it OK in my book. Besides, who wants everything to be so matchy, matchy. Not me, that's for sure. 


Wisteria

Check out this beauty. All gilded and of the moment with the Moroccan-inspired design. Love it. Want it. 
So out of my price range, it isn't even funny. 

Our den is a strange bird. It's all warm and cozy with it's fireplace, built-ins and dark paint color (sharing that soon, promise!), but with no obvious spot for the TV, we are breaking with tradition and keeping it as the quiet space and moving the TV to the front of house in what would traditionally be seen as the living room (read more about that here). Currently there is a fan in our den and I am eager to replace it with a chandelier. Not some frilly, crystal encrusted monstrosity, but definitely something with a bit of shimmery, golden goodness. I can see it reflected in a big mirror over the fireplace...sorry, I digress, that's a different post. And possibly a different house! ha.

I just had John proof-read this post for me - he looked up and said, "really, these lights? For our house? I don't like any of them"
uh-oh.

 until next time,

Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit