Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

Embracing the Cold {Turkey Chili}

Remember all those posts about the warm weather, how odd it was to me, and how you felt like I was really rubbing it in? Well, the tables have finally turned and we are experiencing some surprisingly cold weather (at least that's what the tell me, this isn't typical) here in Charlotte. But, that's all right with me, because we are embracing these temperature fluctuations with fires in the fireplace, Christmas decorations (full tour coming next week) and cozy cold weather meals. 


Lately, I have been completely obsessed with the Pioneer Woman's Simple, Perfect Chili (recipe can be found here). Like, I made it 3 times in the last couple of months - that's a lot for me. I made a couple changes this last batch, and I think it turned out better than ever - plus the kids love it - so I thought I'd share it here with you, today.


DD's kid friendly turkey chili
adapted from the Pioneer Woman's simple, perfect chili

2 lbs ground turkey
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
8 oz can tomato sauce
10 oz can mild rotel tomatoes
8 oz water
2 tbs chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 c ground tortillas chips mixed with water to form a paste
15 oz can kidney beans
1 small can baked beans (I used bush's original)
1/2 c frozen corn kernels

1. Brown the turkey and garlic in a heavy bottom pan, over medium heat, until done. Pour off excess fat, as needed. 
2. Add tomatoes, water and spices. Simmer with lid on for an hour or so until the flavors have come together.
3. Grind a large handful of tortilla chips ( I used a mortar and pestle) into a powder. Add water, about 1/4 c to form a paste. 
4. Add the corn tortilla mixture, beans and corn to the chili. Simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes. 

This is a thick and hearty chili that my kids love to eat over rice, with avocado and cheese on top. The sweet to spicy contrast is out of this world. The corn chip thickener adds a wonderful background flavor that is highlighted by the corn kernels. 


I hope you enjoy it. 
Have a great weekend!

until next time,
Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit