Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

Open the Door to Symmetry

So, did anyone notice anything odd about that last picture I posted of our new outdoor deck space?
No. 
Ok, well, let me spell it out for you. After all, I do realize you might not be quite as obsessed invested in this project as I am.


Can someone please tell me why this house was built with a super short door next to a super tall window? I mean, it just doesn't make sense to me. Does it bug you as much as it bugs me?

My original thought was to have a transom window installed over the door to provide that much needed sense of symmetry.
But…


Then I saw this picture from Country Living. And I thought, I'd love to have more access to our new porch and really open the whole back of the house.

In other words, replace that super sized window with another set of french doors.

Obviously, it's not that easy. There is a lot to think about. How will it affect the layout of both the porch furniture and the den furniture? Can both spaces truly function well when they have essentially lost a wall?


Step 1: rearrange the den. 
Clearly, nothing has been staged/arranged/edited here. All I did was move the couch out from under the window and flank the fireplace with our existing chairs.

Guess what. I don't hate it. And neither does John. In fact, we kind of like how it gives the den it's own identity instead of feeling like a weird extension of the living room. 

The previous owner had their couch under the window and so did we. We never even tried it any other way until we had a reason. Now we are so happy we did. 

The real take away from this: try all the possibilities to find what works best. Even if it's always been that way. After all, your biggest loss is only the time is took to move it.

As for the doors, we are still deciding, so definitely let us know your thoughts in the comments section below. 

until next time, 

Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit