Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

Transformation: Little Details

For the last couple of weeks we've been talking about transformations. Some big projects like reupholstering a chair, and some small projects like adding new accessories to freshen the feel of traditional furniture.  The point I'm trying to drive home is this: don't overlook something just because it's not quite right as it is. Even the smallest of transformations can have a big impact.


A week or two ago, I swapped the traditional wood knobs on our guest room dresser with cut glass knobs I found at HomeGoods, transforming the whole look of the dresser. I had the same idea for the dresser in our little lady's room, but try as I might, I just couldn't find a good bargain out there that fit the look I was going for. I had little choice but to hit up the mecca of fun, eclectic hardware - Anthropologie. 


Sure, I spent a little more than I wanted to, but the handmade look of the pink hued, floral inspired knobs really transform this plain jane dresser. And our little girl deserves it! Or her Mommy just really wanted them…either way, they look goooood. 


Also on the transformation list this week, the lamp. Clearance aisle at Marshalls, of course. Loved the color and texture of the base, but the shade was a heavy woven griege linen-like number with a big brushed silver finial. Both of which didn't work with the room at all. A friend suggested swapping out the lamp shade - um, hello  - why didn't I think of that? So simple, so transformative. Problem solved. Although, to be honest, now that I am looking at these photos a shorter harp might be in order to help cover that neck. Zoinks.


Transforming the lamp to better work in the space was a huge win. I mean, just look at what the color of the lamp base does for the water in the painting and the turquoise in the print. They practically jump off the wall now. Oh, yes, it's a good thing. I am happy. 
And most importantly, our little lady is happy because her room is nearing completion. You know what that means, reveal time! Get ready.

until next time, 
Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit