Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

How to make a Terrarium

The truth is that I have had this terrarium for a long time, I mean years, and I have never ever had any success with it. Maybe it lasts a couple of weeks, a month tops, but inevitably it dies back and I have to start again.

Terrarium

But not this time! I actually read up on creating a terrarium and made some changes - and it's been living on it's own for a number of months now. Honestly, it's creating it's own moisture and everything - it's like it's own little Eco system!

Can you tell I am excited? Thought so.

Here are the key steps:

1. Provide good drainage - I added small landscaping pebbles to ensure easy and efficient drainage.

Terrarium with stones

2. Use more soil than you think - the plants have to root after all! Previously, I think I was being a bit stingy with the soil.
Terrarium with extra soil

3. Choose the right plants - stick with miniature, indoor, tropical plants. I choose plants with pink veining to coordinate with the room (like you couldn't have predicted that).

Terrarium with tropical plants

4. Water - the first watering should be a good one. Get it nice and saturated. After that, it should only require watering from time to time. I water mine once every couple of weeks.You should get condensation on the inside of the terrarium if it is working correctly.

Condensation - it's working!

5. Provide good light - choose a well lit area. Previously, I was going for form over function and not choosing the right location.

Terrarium in its new home in the Big Girl Room

This is a really fun, simple and inexpensive project that can add a bit of life to any room. I hope you give it a try!

Note: This project could be completed with any type of seal-able container, such as an apothecary jar or water jug - experiment and enjoy!

Please note, this post will be saved under the projects tab on the navigation bar.

Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit