Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

Critter Draft Stopper

The weather is definitely getting colder and the drafts from our old windows and doors are rearing their ugly heads again!

Last year, we used a towel to keep the drafts at bay in my daughter's room, I think this year I can do better than that.

I thought about buying something, but then realized I could probably make something more custom to her room and for a lot less! The main problem,  I don't sew - so where to start?

Socks.


My materials:
Over the knee socks, I found mine at Target
Felt squares
Buttons
Poly pellets
Batting
Fusing tape
Glue gun



I started by stuffing the socks. I used the batting for the foot and combination of poly pellets (at the base) and batting for the main body of the sock.


Once it was sufficiently filled, I used fusing tape to close up the end of the sock.


I created a simple pattern for eyes and a mouth on graph paper and then cut them out of felt. I hot glued  some brightly colored buttons for eyes. And then attached these with more hot glue to the newly stuffed socks.



Voila! Stuffed sock critter draft stoppers - that's a mouth full!

My daughter took one look at them and said, kinda scary Mommy - not exactly the reaction I was going for, but that's ok. At least the drafts are being kept at bay!

Linky Parties
Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit