Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

Skirting a Footed Sink, a Pottery Barn knock-off

Yesterday I showed you my guest suite bathroom mini-transformation and promised a tutorial on my no-sew, pleated sink skirt.

Here she is again...



In case you were curious, I took inspiration from Pottery Barn.
Check it out...



Not bad, right?

Anyway, here's how it played out in my world.

I started with an inexpensive pair of 96" curtains from Target, that I originally purchased for our guest bedroom window.


Fortunately due to the window in our guest bedroom requiring short curtains, I was able to cut 30" off the bottom. The perfect amount needed for my 29" high sink!



After ironing, I got out my trusty stitch witchery and gave them a 1" hem.

This is where it starts getting interesting. I knew I wanted some sort of gathering or pleating, but seeing as I don't sew, I really didn't know where to go from here. After a bit of time spent researching, I discovered iron on shirring tape. I found mine here.



Are you familiar with shirring tape? I wasn't. But just like stitch witchery, it can be ironed into place. The top and the bottom are corded; simply pull the cords and scrunch up the fabric.



It was so easy and took all the sewing work out of making pleats!



Voila, pleated skirt - no sewing necessary!

Next, it was just a matter of attaching sticky backed Velcro to the skirt.


And then attach it to the sink itself!



I used two panels to allow for a split down the middle for easy storage access.



I am so happy with the outcome of this little project. It really smartens up the look of the bathroom and provides that extra bit of storage that we really needed.

Now, I just need the rest of the bathroom to transform itself!
Think that can happen?

Until next time,

Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit