Skirting a Footed Sink, a Pottery Barn knock-off

Yesterday I showed you my guest suite bathroom mini-transformation and promised a tutorial on my no-sew, pleated sink skirt.

Here she is again...



In case you were curious, I took inspiration from Pottery Barn.
Check it out...



Not bad, right?

Anyway, here's how it played out in my world.

I started with an inexpensive pair of 96" curtains from Target, that I originally purchased for our guest bedroom window.


Fortunately due to the window in our guest bedroom requiring short curtains, I was able to cut 30" off the bottom. The perfect amount needed for my 29" high sink!



After ironing, I got out my trusty stitch witchery and gave them a 1" hem.

This is where it starts getting interesting. I knew I wanted some sort of gathering or pleating, but seeing as I don't sew, I really didn't know where to go from here. After a bit of time spent researching, I discovered iron on shirring tape. I found mine here.



Are you familiar with shirring tape? I wasn't. But just like stitch witchery, it can be ironed into place. The top and the bottom are corded; simply pull the cords and scrunch up the fabric.



It was so easy and took all the sewing work out of making pleats!



Voila, pleated skirt - no sewing necessary!

Next, it was just a matter of attaching sticky backed Velcro to the skirt.


And then attach it to the sink itself!



I used two panels to allow for a split down the middle for easy storage access.



I am so happy with the outcome of this little project. It really smartens up the look of the bathroom and provides that extra bit of storage that we really needed.

Now, I just need the rest of the bathroom to transform itself!
Think that can happen?

Until next time,

Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!

22 comments:

Val said...

I really love the way this came out.

Jaimie said...

That looks fantastic! What a good idea!

Donnie said...

I never heard of shirring tape before. That would be great to iron on in the back of some of my too big blouses. If I put it at the waist I could pull and make a bit of a gathering in there. Thanks for the tips.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You did a great job! It looks amazing and it's what you needed! I love it! ♥

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Looking good...I have always like these skirts!

Blessings,
Linda

Pam said...

That came out very cute. I have been thinking of doing something similar for my sink in the mudroom, but didn't want to do a big sewing project (big for me is hemming). This is a perfect solution. Thanks for the tutorial.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I haven't heard of that shirring stuff. Just what I need since I don't sew much either. That skirt turned out great. Thanks for sharing this at the party.

AshTreeCottage said...

So cute! When I first went to college, my roommate and I had this ugly sink in our room, so we made a little skirt for it to dress it up. I have always liked this look. I am your newest follower. Stop by and visit me when you have a chance!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

This is just to cool for school my friend..love this tip thanks..Hugs and smiles Gloria

At The Picket Fence said...

That is absolutely darling! I so wish I had known about shirring tape when I was making dust ruffles! :-) You really did a fabulous job!
Vanessa

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Oh, that looks really pretty. I am having a new bathroom in a few weeks and can't wait to be able to tidy everything away! The curtain is really effective, thanks for sharing your skills with us.

Found you through Wednesday blog hop.
CJ xx

Mika said...

I love it! You did a great job!
I'm following from the blog hop.
I'd love a follow back at www.mikaspantry.blogspot.com
Thanks,
Mika

Chris said...

Such a great way to add some storage!

Rene said...

Liz, you did a great job! It looks wonderful!

-Rene

Every Day Products & More said...

hello newest follower from the hop
http://everydayproductsandmore.blogspot.com/

Norwegian Phoenix said...

Stopping by from the Wandering Wednesday blog hop. That looks great! I'd forgotten all about iron on shirring until you mentioned this. You may have just saved me hours of sewing(I was considering making my own pleats and sewing them).

Thanks so much. Have a great afternoon!

Barb said...

Found you thru Wow us Wednesday and glad I did. Never heard of shirring tape-defininately need to get some.

Tiff said...

Shirring tape huh? I'm going to buy stock in that stuff! Thanks for the tip!

cami said...

I love this! I'm off to Joanne's to look for shirring tape! Great idea!! Great blog. Thanks!!!!! cami

Humble Homemaker said...

Awesome! I have been thinking about doing this is my little bathroom for a while but didn't know how... thanks so much for sharing! So glad I found your blog. I am your newest follower! :)
http://humblehomemaking.blogspot.com/

Teresa said...

Love this! You did a wonderful job! I've also never heard of iron on shirring tape. When I clicked on the link you provided, it didn't work. Would you mind letting me know where you purchased it? Many thanks!

Teresa

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

Looks great -- and, I'm having fun reading many of your posts. Happy I found your blog, and I"m a new follower. If you'd like, come visit and maybe follow me too.

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Follow by Email

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Lijit Ad Wijit