Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

Creamy Parsnip and Apple Soup

I know, I know, I know - I promised you a walk through of our newly designed playroom - I am sure you all have been waiting around with baited breath. But here's the situation - I'm sick, my girls are sick, the weather outside is frightful {gray and yukky = no light = not very good pics} - so i'm pulling a little switchero and posting about this fab soup I made earlier this week. 

It's just that kind of week; the kind of week when soup is what you need and soup is what you get.

Creamy parsnip and apple soup, via.

Admit it, that looks good. And the good news is - it's super easy to make AND my 3.5 year old ate two whole bowls...and this girl is the pickiest eater ever.


Melt 2 tbs butter in a large pan with 1 tbs oil

Add in:
2 medium onions, chopped
1.5 lbs parsnips, peeled and chopped

Cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent.

Add in:  
3 large cooking apples {I used granny smith}, peeled, cored and chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped

Cook for an additional 2 minutes.


Pour over 1 liter of chicken/vegetable stock
Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the parsnips are soft.


Off the heat, emulsify with a hand blender or regular blender.


Add about 5 oz milk to reach desired consistency.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.


I served mine with croutons,  chives and a little sprinkle of fruity olive oil. It definitely hit the spot - just what the doctor ordered.

Weather permitting, I'll be back with some pics of the playroom. In the meantime, enjoy some soup! And have a great weekend.

This recipe was found on BBC.co.uk, from The Hairy Bikers.

Until next time, 
Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit