Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

Reader Renovations: Working with a Sectional


Today I'm posting a little something different, which I hope you'll enjoy. 

I'm loosely titling this series 'reader renovations'. I'm sure you can guess what it's all about, seems pretty self explanatory to me. But in case you want more details - let me enlighten you...

It's all about featuring you - my amazing readers!

If you have a project you are particularly proud of or a design dilemma you'd like help with - contact me and you could be chosen to be featured.

So without further ado, let's kick off this new series!


{Reader Renovations}

Recently my sister-in-law purchased a new custom sectional for her family room. Unfortunately, when it arrived, it wasn't exactly what she had in mind. From a size and comfort perspective, it's perfect; from a color and style perspective, not so much.

So she decided to remove almost everything from the room and start over. This is how the room looks at the moment.




The couch, media stand and lamps are the only items that need to stay. 

This is like my dream come true, the chance to decorate a room from scratch. But to some, this kind of task can be pretty overwhelming, so I thought it'd be fun to throw in my two cents and create a mood board for the room.  


As you can see, I chose a color pallet featuring yellows, grays, and creams.  The colors were chosen to tie in with her existing decor in the living and dining room. You know how important I feel room to room flow is!

Also, she was feeling like the room was too dark and too brown; the hits of yellow will serve to lighten and brighten the space, while the cream will balance out all the dark brown.

{via}

Lighting in the room is a bit of a problem, so I've been sure to incorporate several task lighting options. I'd like to see her existing pole lamps flanking the couch, with a contrasting table lamp (in a lighter color to break up the brown on brown) on the media console.

{via}

The accent chair would be placed opposite the sectional with the accompanying pharmacy-style floor lamp, for a cozy reading corner.

{via}
The sectional is already accessorized with a variety of neutral linen pillows. Adding a couple of accent pillows featuring yellow and gray will help to tie the whole room into one cohesive space.  


Other notable highlights are the felted wool pebble poufs that act as both ottomans and floor pillows. Love these and imagine the kids would too! Every room needs a bit of whimsy or something unexpected - and these would definitely provide just that.
To check them out for yourself, click here.


I'm also loving this eclectic wooden box made from schoolhouse rulers. 
Click here to find out more.

Look for me on Pinterest for more details on this mood board and other upcoming boards/projects.

And not to worry, I'll keep you updated on the progress of this room as it unfolds. I can't wait to see what she does with it.

Until next time, 
Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit