Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

Gold Leafed Mirror



Our newly stenciled powder room was crying out for an updated mirror, something to match our new glammed up look. Initially, I started trolling craigslist and our local discount shops, but I kept coming up empty handed. 


I wanted something with loads of detail and an antiqued look {kinda like this one}.



Then I remembered an old mirror that we picked up in London years ago for our nursery/guest room. It was pained a cute rosy pink with golden accents. I loved it when we bought it but never really found a great place for it in this house. 
{sorry this is a terrible before picture, but it makes the after look that much more spectacular, right?}


Solid wood with beautiful details, it's a perfect candidate for a little makeover. 
{this picture was taken after a coat of adhesive was added, hence the shine.}


To achieve my desired glamorous, antiqued finish, I decided to give gold leafing a try. 
I ordered two packs {25 sheets each} of gold leaf composite, adhesive, sealer and an antiquing glaze and got started.


Once the adhesive was dry, each gold leaf sheet was applied using a foam brush. I quickly realized that the foam brush wasn't allowing the gold leaf to get into all the little nooks and crannies so I moved forward using my hands. Needless to say, it started to get a bit messy.


Despite my best efforts, I still couldn't get every little bit covered. At this point, I grabbed my trusty Rub N' Buff in Antique Gold and used a craft brush to cover the bigger areas.


I assumed, in advance, that I'd want to add an antique glaze, and I'm so glad I did. I was really surprised by how bright the gold leaf was. 


I covered the mirror with several layers of glaze to achieve my desired look. And, of course, went back in with a craft brush to darken the nooks and crannies. 


After each layer, I wiped away the excess with a clean towel. 


And now, I have a brand new, much more glamorous, antiqued golden mirror. 
What do you think? 

Can't wait to show you the mirror paired with the stenciled wall. The powder room has a brand new look and I'm lovin' it!

Linking in with:

Until next time, 
Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit