Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

Bedding Debacle

I mentioned earlier this week that my next big undertaking in the guest bedroom would be the bedding. Of course, this seems like it would be so easy. Source a new bedding set, purchase, install in the bedroom. But oh no, not me. I have to make it difficult.


I want to incorporate what I have AND I want it to look collected { i.e. no sets}. And eclectic. And cottage-y, but not TOO predictably cottage-y. I want it all and I want it now. 

With a wish list like this, I am most definitely setting myself up to fail.


This is how the bedding has been looking for at least the last year. I found the tonal shams at HomeGoods and picked them up thinking they would make a great building block. 

You see, the quilt is amongst the first purchases Mr. DD and I made on our countryside jaunts while living in London. I loved it in the package, got it home and made up the guest bed and soon got over it. The small floral print was a little too country, but I still loved the base color. And, quite frankly, heading back out to the countryside just wasn't going to happen. I had to live with it.

So I started looking...



Some quilts made it into the cart, but never out of the store.


Others never left the packaging once they got home. 


Still others had to be restuffed into the package to be returned.

I have looked at hundreds of quilts {at least that's how it feels}. Finding both colors and patterns to coordinate has been ridiculously hard. 


And don't even get me started on the throw pillows. After endless searching, I started looking at fabric to make my own. 

Just when I thought I had it sorted, it all started to look too predictably country cottage-y. That's not the look I wanted. So I went off the wall and got crazy samples like this one.


Epic Fail.
Aye, so many options. So may returns! 


I'm happy to report that I am making progress. After years of searching, even deciding on just two coordinating options is a HUGE step in the right direction.  And hopefully, my self inflicted deadline to finish this room by the end of the month will give me the motivation to power through.

I'd love to hear what you'd do with this quilt. Please share. The more the merrier; seriously, at this point, I feel like I have explored every option.

To quiet my mind, I am going to attempt to make my own pillow cover this weekend. Should be interesting.

Until next time,
Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit