Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

Coconut Soup

I really debated over posting this recipe. It's nothing fancy, and in my case, involved making use of leftovers. But, in the end, it was tasty and authentic. So, like any good blogger, I decided to share. Once you try it, you'll thank me. 


It all started on a Monday night, when I opened the fridge to make dinner. I had intended on using half a leftover roast chicken and half a can of leftover coconut milk to make a Thai green curry. But having just had take away curry the week before, it seemed a bit too soon.

In an act of last minute desperation, I opened my Epicurious app and did a search. I came across a recipe for coconut soup that sparked my interest. Anything claiming to be "one of the best soups in the world", has to be good. 
This is my adaptation. 


In a large pan, add:

2 c coconut milk
1 c chicken stock
5 TBS fish sauce
2 TBS sugar
1 stick lemongrass, chopped and smashed to release flavor
6 matchstick size pieces of ginger

Bring to a simmer to allow flavors to meld (15 minutes).

Add 1/2 roast chicken, deboned and chopped
Add 10-12 raw shrimp ( I always keep a bag of these in my freezer - they are a go-to food for my 3 year old)
1/2 c fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced

Simmer until shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes more.


Now, I'm a nursing mom, who has learned the hard way that my newborn doesn't enjoy spicy food, so I left the chili out entirely. Instead, I served the soup with a bottle of Sriracha which Mr. DD added, liberally. Personally, I liked it without.

Cilantro to garnish.

Honestly, it was simple and easy to throw together at the last minute. And the only ingredient I wouldn't normally have on hand was the lemongrass. So, the next time you are looking for a creative use for leftover chicken, give this a try. 
{of course, the actual recipe suggests cooking the chicken in the soup...}

Enjoy!

Until next time,  
Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit