Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

An East Coast Inspired Family Room {Client Work}

The story behind this project is just too funny to not share. Ok, maybe it's just funny to me because lately it seems to be the story of my life. Hopefully, you'll see what I mean. 

We recently had some new neighbors move into the 'hood. We got the kids together for a little get-to-know you playdate, which included the standard get-to-know you stuff: what do you do, tour the house, etc. You know what I mean, right?


As the kids are running around playing, we get to chatting about her family room and how she just moved from a much smaller home and needed some inspiration to get their family room started. Of course, I offered my services. Who wouldn't?


So without a lot of direction (I know she loves the East Coast and that she likes blue and wants to reuse the leather chair and striped couch in her family room) I came up with this mood board. I'm calling it an East Coast inspired family room. Feels slightly preppy and beachy and even a bit shabby, if you will. Like a coastal holiday at a well loved family cottage by the sea. 
What, too much of a stretch for you?

I've been itching to use this classic awning stripe dhurrie rug somewhere and I think their family room is the perfect opportunity. It's traditional, but youthful and certainly sets the tone for the rest of the room. 


Fortunately, for Emily and me, she wants to slip cover her existing sofa and incorporate her husbands favorite leather chair. White slipcovers may seem scary with little kids around, but they are the easiest to clean, I promise. To round out the seating, I am completely loving these blue paisley club chairs from Ballard's. As well as the backless bench as occasional seating in front of the patio doors. 

Because the room is fairly angular, I'd recommend breaking up all the hard lines with circular tables. I'm loving the weathered wood look of this table. Classic and a bit of wear and tear will only enhance it.


To keep the room from feeling too predictably monochromatic, I recommend adding a couple pops of green. The blue and green floral pillow from Pottery Barn provides the perfect jumping off point to incorporate the avocado toned throw.


So, there you have it - my interpretation of an East Coast inspired family room. Thanks, Emily, for allowing me to throw a bit of inspiration your way!

To check out more of my Design Services and reserve your spot now, click here

product images and sources
white sofa: Pottery Barn
floral pillow: Pottery Barn
navy lattice pillow: Etsy, no longer available, similar
green lamp: Overstock
blue chairs: Ballard Designs
circular accent table: Ballard Designs
coffee table: Ballard Designs
throw: World Market
leather chair: Pottery Barn
navy greek key pillow: etsy
floor lamp: Ballard Designs

until next time, 
Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit