Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

A Living Room Corner, Updated


One of the biggest take-a-ways I gathered from the book, Absolutely Beautiful Things, was the affirmation of the round side table. I've always loved the look, how it breaks up all the straight lines and the added height to the room -  and now I'm happy to know I'm not alone. 


Our off-white drop-leaf table was an eBay score back in Chicago and has been sitting pretty in this corner since we moved into the Charlotte house. But, for some reason, I always had one leaf down. Not for any reason in particular, it just was what it was. Until I read her book, got right up mid-chapter and pulled up that second leaf. It seems like a little change, but sometimes that's all it takes to transform a space. With so much extra surface space, it's time to get vignette-makin'.


Switching gears for just a moment, I have to tell you that I grew up in a beautiful home full of blue and white everything. Everywhere. And for that reason, I never wanted blue and white in any of my homes. Guess what? I was wrong. Blue and white isn't stuffy, boring, or too traditional. If the book doesn't show you that, I have no idea what would! Truth is, I've been coming around for awhile now, but after reading her book I am officially onboard. 


And so my little blue and white collection was born. Well, truthfully, it started when my world travelin' husband brought back the Korean, hand painted, blue and white bowl. Details, details :)

To keep my collection from looking too traditional, I've opted to mix and match a variety of patterns, shapes and sizes. Seeing this little trio is making me excited to grow our collection...


To offset the traditional lamp and classic blue and white, I added something with a bit of quirk - the horse head. I like how the color brings in a touch of rosy glow and plays well with the lamp and couch. Having the colors link from the tabletop to the upholstery and fabrics helps to achieve a cohesive look.


Speaking of fabrics, I took another cue from the book by mixing patterns and ensuring they link to other elements in the room. The big change here is the blue animal print pillow, that I love and really offsets the orange and yellow in the ikat pillow. And who doesn't love a little faux fur pompom on their throw? No one.

Amazing how a couple of small changes all spurned on by one book has transformed the feel of one corner of our living room. 

until next time,
Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit