Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

Architectural Inspiration: The Courtyard

Have you ever had one of those ideas that just kinda happens and you have no idea how or why, but as soon as the thought hits your head and/or leaves your mouth, you become obsessed. Well, that's what happened to me the other day when I was brainstorming ideas to add more European charm to our slightly French inspired home here in Charlotte. 


Right around the time we started discussing wing walls, I was walking through the dining room and it came to me…what if we swapped out the floor-to-ceiling windows for doors that exited onto a courtyard, which would be nestled behind the new, future wing wall. 
Doesn't that sounds so charming? Or as a landscape designer I recently chatted with said…sexy.


Naturally, I turned to Pinterest and Houzz to see what I could find in terms of inspiration and there was a lot to look at…
Like these white painted French doors, that lead out to a brick floored, ivy covered walled courtyard garden.


Or this little number complete with a bistro table for intimate dining.


While seating is a must, I think I prefer this lounge style seating over the bistro table. An intimate courtyard just off the dining area screams after dinner drinks…not another meal. Yes, lounge seating it is. And while I'm at it, let's make sure to throw in that ivy covered wall.


Looking back through the images I've compiled on my Pinterest board, I'm noticing a reoccurring theme: the water feature. Clearly, it's a sign and we must incorporate water into our future courtyard oasis. I mean, what is an oasis without water? 



I told you I've become obsessed. Finding ways to incorporate more charm and interest into the exterior of our home is starting to take over my life. Not really. But kind of. 

until next time,
Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit