Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

Accessorize with Meaning: London lessons

In keeping with my London nostalgia week, I thought I would highlight how the lessons I have learned from our various homes overseas have influenced my current design style.

As I have said, in my opinion, every vignette needs to tell it's own story and the only way to do that is to accessorize with meaning and surround yourself with the things you love.

This is my view from our breakfast table (if I am not looking into the adoring eyes of my lovely family, of course).


Every time I look at it, it just makes me smile. The reason being - every piece in this picture tells a specific story to me. Nothing is from a big box store and everything was hand selected.

Jam Cabinet - first antique that my husband and I purchased together while living in Belsize Park. Our kitchen was so small we ran out of space immediately. We added this piece to the hallway just outside of the kitchen and used it as our pantry.



Wine - what's not to love? I worked in the wine industry overseas and basically, it changed my life and my appreciation for wine forever.

Antique scale - purchased on one of our first 'mini-breaks' to the English Countryside. I had grand ambitions to collect antique scales, but all our homes were too small to accommodate such large pieces. Oh well, in some cases, one large scale piece speaks more than a lot of little ones - at least that is what I am telling myself.

Wire Roosters - these were actually given to me for my first official Mother's Day, from a little shop in Wimbledon Village. And I didn't even pick them out. Love them!

Antique Mallet/Hammer - one of the first antiques that my Dad gave to my Mom.

Antique Ice Cream Scoop - this was my Father's Grandfather's.

So, as you can see, each piece has meaning and memories attached to it. To me, this is what makes a house a home. And of course, some of these things are even practical - like the wine! And I've even used the ice cream scoop once or twice! Most recently to scoop a delicious and festive cherry Bourbon slush at last year's Winter cocktail party - really must find that recipe again.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my London week as much as I enjoyed reliving our time there.
Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit