Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

A Long Awaited Change

Remember when I told you that one of my goals for this year was to really love the home I'm in? No more complaining about what this house doesn't have - time to start focusing on what we do have and making the most of it. 
So, what was my biggest complaint? 
Probably a tie between not using the whole first floor and toys being everywhere. (sound familiar?) 
I felt like we were spending all our time in the smallest room of the house, the breakfast room. This hard working room splits it's time between hosting all our meals, 1st floor playroom for the kids and a blogging space for me. Meanwhile, despite working hard to make the dining room feel less formal, we weren't using it. 


Time to do something drastic. Something I've been wanting to do since we moved our furniture in. Something that almost everyone I've asked thought was a bad idea. But, you know what, it's my house and I want to be happy in it. So, why not give it a try?


I moved our 7' long antique harvest table into the dining room. Before moving into this house, it acted as our breakfast table. Since then, it's stood in for a sofa table, then a tv stand. 

The Mr. and I have always wanted it in here. But, we had a more formal table and it was a formal dining room. Obviously, it belonged in the dining room. Right?


Not anymore. 
We are loving how it fits the proportions of the room and the less formal feel. We can still comfortably fit 8 adults, and that's good enough for us. 


I'll admit it. When we first moved the table in, we were concerned that the table was a bit thin. 
The original plan was to use our breakfast room chairs, but they didn't really add enough bulk. Then, I thought about my highly coveted natural woven chairs, which of course would be an extra expense. We decided to try our current, more formal chairs, and would you believe it - we actually liked them. 
First off, they are super comfy. Second, they are a better scale for the table and the room. Third, they are a perfect pairing of casual elegance....the overall feel and look I am trying to achieve in my home. 


A couple of questions you might have, Mom:

1. What did we do with the other table? 
We simply removed the legs and slid it under the guest bed. That way, if we ever want to go back to it, we can. Easily. 
{Although, I'll still feel like it's disproportionate to the room. And won't be able to get over the fact that the extra leaves don't have an attached apron, which kept me from using them on a regular basis.}
We are toying with the idea of selling it, so if you are interested, please contact me directly. designingdomesticity@gmail.com

2. Now you have two informal dining spaces, what are your plans for the breakfast room?
Oh, I have plans, definite plans. You'll just have to stay tuned in to find out. But, for now, I will tell you that I am loving that I don't have to put away/step over/clear off the toys/projects every time we want to eat a meal. 

3. Now that you moved the harvest table, what are you using for a TV stand?
As most furniture rearrangements go, it lead to quite a few other changes around the house, which I plan to share later in the week. Not all are permanent, I don't think. But only time will tell. 


So, what do you think? A good change? 
Let me know in the comments. 

linking in with:

until next time, 
Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit