Designing Domesticity Our Home Projects Food Services Shop About

1 Chicken, 3 Ways

Since I seem to be sticking to the kitchen as a theme for this weeks' posts, I thought I'd share some cooking from the weekend. 1 chicken, 3 ways. 


We tried something new to us and it turned out so well, it's definitely going on the repeat list. Plus, it's super versatile so I knew I'd be sharing it here sooner or later. 

Start with one large roaster chicken, submerge in water in a large pot. Add whatever flavor enhancers you have at hand. I added a chopped carrot or two, some celery stalks, a partial head of garlic, one lemon halved, a handful of fresh thyme leaves, salt and peppercorns.

Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to simmer for about 1.5 hrs. 
Remove from cooking liquid (reserving stock), cool and shred.
Couldn't be easier.



What you are left with is super moist and flavorful, fall off the bone, chicken.

That night we shredded half the chicken and combined it with an off the shelf Mexican seasoning. I'm partial to the Frontera line of sauces, and in this case, we used the Carnitas sauce. Paired with corn tortillas, pickled onions and fresh guacamole we were ready to celebrate National Margarita Day.


Later in the week, I revived one of my favorite childhood recipes. We simply knew it as, Chinese chicken, but a quick internet search later I discovered the true name Chow Yow Gai.

Combine shredded chicken with one bunch of thinly sliced green onions. Poor over 1 tbs soy sauce and 1 tbs sesame oil. Heat 1/2c. peanut oil to the point of smoking. Just before serving pour hot oil over the chicken (which will give you a lovely crackling sound) and toss to combine. Serve with steamed rice. 

Now, I've used the whole chicken, but I promised 3 ways - so what's left? Chicken stock, of course. Simply strain that reserved chicken poaching liquid and the world is your oyster, as they say. I came away with 14 cups of luscious, yummy, flavorful, homemade stock. I froze mine in 4 cup increments. Now, I just need to find something to make. Any suggestions?

linking in with:

until next time, 
Photobucket
If you'd like help designing your home, please contact me on designingdomesticity@gmail.com.

Don't forget to check out the new SHOP section on Designing Domesticity!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Ad Wijit